The staff of the Galesville Public Library is dedicated to providing high quality library services to Galesville and the surrounding areas. Galesville is a city of approximately 1500, located in Trempealeau County, about 20 miles north of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Requesting Library Items–Books and More!
Libraries are associated in people’s minds with traditional books, printed on paper. We DO have and love traditional books, fiction and non-fiction, for babies, children, teens and adults. We also offer many other library items for check-out: audiobooks, DVD’s, music CD’s, magazines, graphic novels and videotapes.
The Galesville Public Library belongs to the Winding Rivers Library System and the WRLSWEB consortium. WRLSWEB is the shared catalog of 29 member libraries.
- Patrons can request items from the full WRLSWEB catalog to be sent to the Galesville Library for pick-up.
- Items are delivered three times a week; on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons. You will be notified when your items arrive.
- You can make requests from your home or office computer using the search box at the top right, or ask a library staff person to make a request for you.
- If you cannot find an item you’re looking for, the library staff can search beyond the shared system catalog, in WISCAT, which allows us to search all catalogs in Wisconsin.
- The loan period for books, audiobooks, and music is 3 weeks. DVD’s, VHS, and magazines are one week.
- An item can be renewed three times if no one else has requested it. If another patron is waiting, your item can not be renewed.
The library would like to accommodate your needs. Let us know if we can help you in any way.
- The entrance to the library has an automatic door. An LSTA* Grant brought the automatic door to our library.
- There is a walker with a basket available for patrons to use, purchased with an LSTA Grant.
- One internet station is designed for those with vision difficulties, purchased with an LSTA Grant.
- Magnifying glasses and a full spectrum reading lamp are available, purchased with an LSTA Grant.
- There are large print books as well as three different formats of audiobook in our collection.
- Our staff can assist you in downloading on-line books.
- Our staff can assist you with your e-reader (we will do our best).
- The library may be able to arrange delivery to the homebound.
- Service animals are welcome in the library.
- Hearing Loops at the desk: A hearing loop uses induction technology to transmit sound from a public address system’s microphone directly and wirelessly to a hearing aid’s built in receiver, while also reducing background noise. An LSTA Grant brought the hearing loop technology to our library.
- Desktop Magnifier for low vision patrons, magnifies anything up to 82x. This unit belonged to Ethel Abel, and was donated to the library by Kate Hardt.
*Library Services and Technology Act
- Your library card works at all the libraries in the WRLS system, which encompasses seven Wisconsin counties in our region.
- Library cards are free. Stop by and fill out the short registration form. You will need a photo I.D. and proof of current address, or you may have another patron vouch for you.
- Children under 16 must have a parent or guardian sign the registration form in order to get a library card.
- If your old library card has a barcode beginning with “A”, please stop by the library to get a new card.
- The Galesville Public Library has five computers for public use. You will need your library card and PIN to sign in. (Your PIN is usually the last four digits of your phone number.)
- One of our computers is especially good for those with visual impairments–it has a large print keyboard and larger monitor screen.
- All five computers are connected to a printer, so that users can print from the internet or print documents created on the computer. The library charges 10 cents per page for this service.
- If others are waiting to use a computer, there is a time limit of 30 minutes.
- When using computers, please use the hand sanitizer provided.
- We have headphones at the front desk for patron use. Please ask for a set if you will be using any audio.
- Please ask the library staff if you need help operating the copier.
- Copies are in black and white, and can be two-sided upon request.
- The library charges 10 cents per page for this service. A two-sided copy is considered two copies.
- The library does not have a fax machine.
Come and see a unique collection every month at the library. Someone in our community, adult or child, has their collection in our display case for all to enjoy. The display case is one of the first things you see upon entering the library. Stop and see someone’s treasures!
If you have a collection you’d like to share, call the library and sign up for a future month.
The library has a beautiful collection of arrowheads and other ancient tools used by the native people of this area.J. O. Beadle collected and donated these artifacts. Mr. Beadle recorded a cassette tape describing the items in the collection. The tape is available for patrons to listen to while they view the collection.
Our library shares the building with the City of Galesville Community Room. This room is used for City Council meetings, Library Board meetings and Book Club, voting and other functions. If you would like to reserve this room, call the Galesville City Office at 608-582-2475.