Gifts and Donations
The most helpful monetary donations are those to be used where most needed. These gifts are most often used to purchase materials for check-out, such as books, large-print books, audiobooks, music CD’s and DVD’s. We also welcome monetary gifts which the donor has designated for a certain purpose.
Donations of Materials
We welcome your donations of gently used books, music, audiobooks and movies. We require that all donations meet the following criteria. We know how hard it is to dispose of books, but the library staff will have to dispose of those items which we cannot use. Please evaluate your items before bringing them to the library. We very much appreciate your kindness in saving us this extra work.
- Materials must be clean and in good condition. We cannot accept any books that have been exposed to water, mold, or smoke, or books containing food or coffee stains.
- We do not accept textbooks, Reader’s Digest condensed books or back issues of magazines (including National Geographic). We are happy to accept financial donations for magazine subscriptions.
- Materials we receive as donations may be added to the collection, or they may be put in our book sale, run by the Friends of the Library on the first Saturday of October. Either way, the donation is of great benefit to the library.
- We cannot accept materials if the donor requires that the materials can only be added to the collection and not used for the book sale.
- Upon request, a receipt summarizing the number of type of items you donated will be sent to you. For example: 10 unabridged audiobooks on CD, 4 hardcover books, 12 paperback books. We do not provide a list of specific titles; donors who wish to have such a list would need to make it before donating their items.
- The library cannot assign a monetary value to items donated; please consult your tax advisor or accountant.
- Donated materials become the property of the Galesville Public Library and are not returnable. They will be handled in the same way as other library materials when we evaluate whether to keep or discard items.
Paperbacks for jail inmates
Throughout the year, we accept donations of paperbacks for the jails in the 7-county area. Adult and young adult titles are most desired; romance titles are not generally needed.